Saturday, January 14, 2012

Vintage Watches Bracelet

I teased about a tutorial for a cool bracelet I made last weekend. I had some computer problems last week, so that set me back a few days. All's well now, and I'm so happy because I've been itching to show this off! I'll just start with a picture of the lovely finished product.
Isn't she pretty? I love how it turned out! Here's how I made her.


I knew I wanted a jump ring with beads between each watch, so I sorted through my beads and picked some from my stash that had lots of sparkle and a dressy feel.


I chose some clear, red, and brown Swarovski crystal beads that I had rescued from some vintage broken necklaces and set each one onto a head pin.
You know how to do that, right? Insert the pin, cut it off, bend it about 90%, then curl the end using round nose pliers. When you're done with that step you'll have beads that look something like this.
With my beads all pinned and ready, I gathered my watches.
These are some that I've had that no longer work. A couple I acquired through family, a few were bought for small prices at thrift stores, (I'm talking like $1 each). Now, here's a little tip if you decide to use vintage watches in this same manner. See the two watches on the right in this next picture?
The last one wouldn't work for this project. See how the strap attaches to the watch? It has two lugs with a pin between. The pin holds the strap on. Whereas the one on the left, (as well as the other four I'm using for this project) has a single lug coming off the watch frame. One with a pin wouldn't give you the integrity you'd need for this bracelet. I'm afraid the pin would pop out. 
So with my watches gathered I had to remove the bands. I could have just cut them away, but I'm a frugal crafter and figure I can surely find a use for them, so I studied how they were attached and removed them carefully. I won't include that process here, as each one was a little different, you'll just have to study and see how they come off of the watches you've chosen.

With the watchbands removed, I gathered my watches, jump rings, and pinned beads, for assembly.
I joined the watches with a jump ring and added three pinned beads to each side.
Continue this process until you have all of your watches joined together. My wrist measures 6.5inches, so depending on your wrist size and the size of the watches you might use more or less than five. That's what I needed for my bracelet.





I tried a couple of different clasps, but settled on a lobster claw with a short chain on the other end. 
Since none of the watches run, as an after thought, I decided to set each one with a time that holds a special meaning to me. One is set at 3:31 for my daughter's March 31st birthday, one at 10:52 for the time she was born. 8:28 for August 28th, my anniversary. 1:11 for Mr. ShowMe's January 11th birthday.  No one knows the meaning of those times but me, and that's ok. When I look at it on my wrist and see the various times, I know what they mean, and it gives me another reason to love it!
Thanks for stopping by. If you decide to make something similiar, I'd love to hear about it! 


I'm linking up with Angie's party over at Knick of Time and all the other fun places listed on my Link Parties page.




Photobucket"

29 comments:

  1. Such a unique piece, I love how you have incorporated the beading.
    Beautiful.
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! How pretty and feminine you've made this one! I am trying NOT to make jewelry! lol I have so many tools and supplies for sewing that I told myself I had to stick to that! But this is OH so tempting! I'm going to put your blog on my favorites list...I don't know why it's not there already! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks Diane! I feel honored :) I can't wait to tell the hubs!!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! This is amazing. You made such a beautiful and unique bracelet. I wish I could think of things like this. Thank you for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very clever and creative. Wonder if anyone will ask you if you have the time? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is incredible. I have watched I've picked up at thrift stores too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful! I like the beading detail. I just made a necklace from a pocket watch that has a couple of smaller watches worked into the chain. I may have to make a bracelet to match!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea! Never seen anything like it before! Glad to have you at Things I’ve Done Thursday!

    http://www.bearrabitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a fantastic idea!!! this is just so unique!!!

    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
    Hope to see you there again tomorrow
    http://serenityyou.blogspot.com/2012/01/serenity-saturday-22.html

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy,

    I just found you through the link at "It's Overflowing" and you have had a great idea. I love this and now I know what I'm making my sister's for Christmas next year! Yes, I start early in the year so I'm not swamped in December and have to pull money out of the air. Plus I'll be able to take my time and find the watches that I'll need.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Maureen! I'd love to see them when you get them done. If you think of it, send me pictures of yours and I'll post them on my blog so the other readers can see them if you'd like. Good luck. I'm jealous of you starting on Christmas so early, I wish I could get it together enough to do that. Have a great weekend :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. What a fabulously clever idea!! I wish I could make one!! Alas....no skills whatsoever in the jewelry making department. Now a cookie clock I could manage :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing at Knick of Time Tuesday!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful bracelet. Thank you for the tutorial. I also love to incorporate vintage jewelry into my own necklaces and bracelets. I am now your latest follower and looking forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks SO good!!! Thanks LOTS for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity!

    XO, Aimee

    PS Did you sign up for my giveaway yet!?!
    Awesome Customizable Frames, Art & Home Decor

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very cool vintage bracelet. Love the idea and your piece is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your lovely bracelet is being featured tonight at the Knick of Time Tuesday Vintage Style Party!

    PLUS - I'm copying you! My mom just sent me several old watches that were hers when she was younger and I'm itching to turn them into either a bracelet or a necklace, so thanks for the inspiration!

    Come back and share more!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh - by the way, you need to add a link back to the party in your post so you can be featured & be a follower of Knick of Time - THANKS!

    Please send me an email at jasmasix@msn.com when you have it done, so I can add you to the features for tonight.

    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have an addiction to watches, so this braclet is right up my alley. I love it. Have to get all my vintage watches out now. So glad I did nto throw away the ones that no longer work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just so dang cute. I've got to go find my watches - I think I only have two but two is enough for me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely work! Now, that is one grand collection of vintage watches made into one fine piece of jewellery! :) Do share more of your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wrist watches are considered as one of the most popular and cherished gifts for men and women. We believe in increase clientele by facilitating cost-effective and reliable Antique Watch Repairs UK and nearby areas. Thanks for providing information of Vintage Watches. Vintage Watches

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks you very much for sharing these links. Will definitely check this out..
    log in

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.
    Watches

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well! This is a nice creativity. I appreciate your creative mind, keep it up. I would also think of it. If possible I will sell my Rolex watch and buy some new other brand watches to make such bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like the movement in a traditional watch, the glide movement never stops, and is specified to accuracy of exact one second of a day. Montre Henry London


    ReplyDelete
  26. David Bowie is a classic, i like all his songs during the old days.” สร้อยคอมือเสริมดวง

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing this excellent blog. You've come to the right place to buy 2pcs/set Magnet Bracelet Couple Vintage Stone. This Magnetic Bracelet is made from high-quality materials and is the perfect accessory. For more info, visit our website.

    Buy Charmed moissanite ring

    ReplyDelete